Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday in Advent 3

2 Peter 1:12-21
V. 19b You will do well to be attentive to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

Attentive to what? "The prophetic message" (in the first half of the verse) which seems to be Peter's testimony of Jesus' tranfiguration on the mountain, where God was heard to say, "This my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased" (retold in verses 17-18).

It's a lovely image. Keep God's Beloved before your eyes, shining in a dark place, until the day comes and that same Beloved rises as the morning star.

But it's a long night, and it seems every time I think I see the morning star on the horizon, it slips away, slips away with another act of injustice, another violent death, another hungry child, or another loss of love--be to death or some other way.

That's gloomy, I know, and I have to be careful not to get stuck there, as we all do. But it can also be a joyful place to be, in the dark where the light shines. As John's Gospel says, "the light shines in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it" (John 1:5). Or, as we sing with great joy sometimes, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine!"

We all know the darkness. It is unavoidable. The question is, how can we help keep the light shining, keep waiting for the dawn and the morning star?

No comments: