December 9, 2010
Christ Church, Rochester
The December 9, 2010 Rochester Monroe District Meeting was held at Christ Church, Rochester with 31 people present.
The Rev. Ruth Ferguson opened the meeting with prayer at 7:07 p.m.
Padraic Collins-Boher spoke about the numerous outreach ministries at Christ Church along with their affiliation with the Eastman School of Music and as a Jazz Festival venue. He also shared information about the history of the church beginning in the 1800’s.
Warden Bonnie Hallman-Dye chaired the meeting.
The minutes were accepted as read.
Old Business: None
1. Patti Blaine, City School Outreach Coordinator and Laura Despard, described two programs at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. School #9. Patti spoke about the literacy support program. Laura presented a challenge to the group to provide meals for students during school vacations. Discussion and a question/ answer period followed. Information regarding the tutoring and vacation book program is available from Patti at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about A Challenge to Mission is available from Laura Despard at email@example.com.
2. The Very Rev Lance Robbins initiated a discussion about Prayer Partners. The focus was on the way prayer partners are selected and how much prayer partners communicate with one another. Please forward ideas and suggestions for prayer partner projects or activities to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The Very Rev. Cynthia Rasmussen led a small group discussion around the first three chapters of I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church. Small groups were asked to discuss one of three topics and decide what activities would be appropriate for their setting. Topics included: life/death; community/isolation; and fun/drudgery. Suggestions were shared among the group.
Cindy is moving forward with setting up a face book page for members to continue the discussion on line.
Chapters 4-6 will be discussed at the February meeting.
4. Neil Houghton’s resignation as Monroe District Warden was accepted with regret. A new warden will be elected in February. Nominations should be forwarded to The Very Rev. Lance Robbins at email@example.com
1. Christ Church, Pittsford is offering a service for special needs children and their caregivers on December 19, 2010 at 1 p.m.
2. Carpenter’s Kids are making another two week pilgrimage from August 1- 13. A child can be sponsored for $80.00.
3. A Blue Christmas service will be held at St. Luke’s Brockport at 7 p.m. on December 16, 2010.
4. On January 29, 2011 at 3 p.m. there will be a benefit for Rural Migrant Ministries at Epiphany Gates. There is also a celebration of Rev. Don Hill’s 40th anniversary of his ordination.
5. Two Saints is offering an Advent Quiet Day from 2-4 p.m. and Evensong at 4 p.m.
6. Next Meeting:
February 10, 2011
36 S. Main Street, Pittsford
Sharon Del Vecchio Therkildsen
Rochester Monroe District Secretary