Friday, December 10, 2010

Friday in Advent 2

2 Thessalonians 2:13--3:5
v. 3:5 May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.

Sorry I missed yesterday. The day got rolling and never stopped. Today hasn't been much better. Oh, it must be Advent with Christmas looming on the horizon. All the better reason for a quiet afternoon tomorrow at church and then the Messiah at the RPO in the evening.

I suspect that God is pretty much always trying to "direct" our hearts--keep them going in the right direction. I also suspect that for God this is something trying to get my cat to come when I call her. She will do it just often enough for me to live in hope, but, truth to tell, most of the time she will not even acknowledge my presence when I say her name.

Truth is, I don't think God has much more luck directing our hearts. He needs our help. We actually have to decide to pay attention. That is Advent's most basic message to us. Pay attention or you will miss God. Pay attention or you will miss the life that God wants to make with you.

No comments: