October 6, 2010
Call to Order: The Rochester Monroe District meeting was called to order at 7:10 p.m. by Warden Bonnie Hallman-Dye with 72 people present. Attendance lists are with the secretary.
Welcome and Opening Prayer: The Rev. Rosemary Lillis welcomed the group and opened the meeting with prayer. Sarah Stoll gave an introduction to the ministries and activities of St. George.
Review Agenda and Minutes of May 20, 2010: The minutes were accepted as read.
Old Business: None
New Business: Members of the Diocesan staff presented information relevant to the Diocesan Convention.
- The Very Rev. Lance Robbins reviewed the tasks and responsibilities of convention delegates referencing the brochure included in the convention packets.
- Bishop Prince Singh spoke to the convention theme of, “We are the ones we’ve been waiting for.”
- Kristy Estey reviewed the registration procedure and layout of the convention areas.
- The Rev. Dr. Pete Peters described the workshops that would be offered.
- The Rev. Canon Julie Cicora reviewed the worship that would be offered at the convention as well as the program for Friday evening.
- The Rev. Deborah Brown, ObJN described the youth activities and the need for youth involvement in attending convention.
- Canon Karen Noble Hanson reviewed the budget.
- Jim Ernst outlined a number of initiatives around communication.
- Warden Bonnie Hallman Dye referenced the materials regarding candidates for Diocesan Offices as well as the resolutions that would be presented at convention
Rochester Monroe District Agenda:
· Two clergy representatives to Diocesan Council were elected by voice vote. Rev. Lucy Alonzo was elected for the Rochester District. Rev Rosemary Lillis was elected for the Monroe District.
· The following Rochester Monroe District grant requests were approved for a total of $4,750.00
o Grace Church, Scottsville $750.00 for a food distribution program that supplies 15 to 24 meals per week with each bag feeding 2-3 people.
o St. Paul’s, Rochester $550.00 for RCSD tutoring program.
o Christ Church, Rochester $325.00 for International Jazz Festival support.
o St. Luke’s Fairport $450.00 for Strong Hospital NICU quilts.
o St. Thomas’, Rochester $800.00 for activities for at risk girls ages 7-9 of Girl Scout Troop 3003
o Church of the Ascension, Rochester $675.00 for Mary and Martha’s Cabinet providing personal care and home cleaning products in conjunction with MEEK.
o St. Stephen’s Rochester $700.00 for audio equipment.
o St Luke’s and St. Simon Cyrene $500.00 for the Spring Music Festival fund raiser for Right on School summer day camp.
Information Items and Announcements:
- The Very Rev. Lance Robbins conducted a discussion the possible formation of district discernment groups. More information is needed.
- Anti-Racism and Safe Church Training are now available on line.
- The Very Rev. Cynthia Rasmussen presented the meeting schedule through May 2011. Rochester Monroe District meetings and locations are as follows:
- Thursday , December 9, 2010 at Christ Church, Rochester
- Thursday, February 10, 2011 at Christ Church, Pittsford
- Thursday, May 12, 2011 at Ascension, Rochester
- The Very Rev. Cynthia Rasmussen also suggested adding a book discussion of Paul Nixon’s I Refuse to lead a Dying Church. Books will be ordered through The Good Book Store. Each parish needs to let Cindy know the number of books they need. Chapters 1-3 would be discussed on December 9 and chapters 4-6 on February 10.
- Epiphany Gates has a temporary email change: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Incarnation is having a silent auction on October 22 in the Penfield HS cafeteria on Five Mile Line Rd. from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- St. Paul’s is offering an Advent Program on December 2, 2010
Compline: The Rev. Rosemary Lillis
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Sharon Del Vecchio Therkildsen
Rochester Monroe District Secretary