Monday, October 25, 2010

Celtic Spirituality: A Pilgrimage to Iona


Celtic Spirituality:
A Pilgrimage to Iona

The Rev. Michael W. Hopkins, June 2010

Poems, Prayers and Resources

Summer and its days long and slow

A herd of thick-maned horses

The beauty of the word which the Trinity speaks

Beautiful too when old age comes.

I should like a great lake of finest ale

For the King of kings

I should like a table of the choicest food

For the family of heaven

Let the ale be made from the fruits of faith

And the food be forgiving love.

I should welcome the poor to my feast,

For they are God’s children.

I should welcome the sick to my feast,

For they are God’s joy.

Let the poor sit with Jesus at the highest place,

And the sick dance with the angels.

God bless the poor,

God bless the sick;

And bless our human race.

God bless our food,

God bless our drink,

All homes, O God, embrace.

Bless to me, O God,

Each thing mine eye sees;

Bless to me, O God,

Each thing mine ear hears;

Bless to me, O God,

Each odor that goes to my nostrils;

Bless to me, O God,

Each taste that goes to my lips;

Each note that goes to my song,

Each ray that guides my way,

Each thing that I pursue,

Each lure that tempts my will,

The zeal that seeks my living soul,

The Three that seek my heart.

The zeal that seeks my living soul,

The Three that seek my heart.

The guarding of the God of life be upon me;

The guarding of loving Christ be upon me;

The guarding of the Holy Spirit be upon me;

Each step of the way,

To aid me and enfold me,

Each day and night of my life.

Resources

Esther De Waal, the Way of Celtic Prayer

J. Philip Newell, Listening to the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirituality

Herbert O’Driscoll, The Road to Donaguile: A Celtic Spiritual Journey

Peter Tremayne, the Sister Fidelma Mystery Series

Iona Community: www.iona.org.uk

Iona: www.isle-of-iona.com

Shalem Institute for Spiritual Formation: www.shalem.org

Wild Goose Publications: www.ionabooks.com

No comments: