Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tuesday in Advent 2

Amos 7:10-17
v. 14 Then Amos answered Amaziah, "I am no prophet, nor a prophet's son; but I am a herdsman, and a dresser of sycamore trees, and the Lord took me from following the flock, and the Lord said to me, 'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.'"

The religious establishment has had enough and, with the political establishment's blessing, arranges a showdown with Amos. He is disturbing the peace and threatening the prosperity. "Go back to Judah where you belong," is his basic message.

Amos' reply is almost funny. "I am no prophet." Amos is not a professional. If he is a prophet, he is an amateur prophet. He is just doing what God told him to do.

There is a sense in which we are all called to be amateur prophets. Advent is the season for the renewal of this calling. We are all called to "speak the word of the Lord" to the world. Not all of us are called to do so on the street corner or in the pulpit, but all of us are called to apply the word of the Lord to our little world so that all our decisions are made with it foremost in mind.

Sometimes "Amaziah" may wonder who you think you are. Like Amos you can respond I am just who I am. But I am called, I know that from my baptism. I am called.

No comments: