Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wednesday in Holy Week

John 12:27-36
v. 32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.

We say that Christ died "once for all;" it is not a sacrifice that must be repeated. What Jesus says in this morning's Gospel is also "once for all:" "I will draw all to myself."

We are constantly being drawn to God in Jesus Christ. The miracle of this is that it is true even when we "draw back." God's drawing us in, drawing all people in, is a universal constant. This is the God of infinite second chances, the God of the cross, the God of the resurrection.

Some ancient manuscripts of John's Gospel read "all things" instead of "all people." That is a marvelous image, of the whole creation being drawn to God. Nothing is outside the embrace of the arms of Jesus on the cross. Nothing is outside the power of his resurrection.

Today let us be grateful for this "drawing power" of God, and let us succumb a bit more to it.

No comments: