Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thursday in Lent 5

John 10:19-42
vv. 27-28 My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand.

This is bottom-line good news. It is akin to those magnificent words from baptism: "You are sealed by the Holy Spirit in baptism and marked as Christ's own for ever." The news doesn't get any better than this.

But (and it's sometimes a big "but") we still have to believe it. Faith is required and there are some pretty steep mountains to climb. Death, for one. We have to believe "they will never perish" despite the fact that they seem to do just that. Suffering, for another. We have to believe "no one will snatch them out of my hand" even when it seems that God is nowhere in sight.

Faith is a tall order. It isn't easy to come by some days. As I've said before in these reflections, it is a good thing that it is a) a gift from God and b) something we have together. The good news is that we are not alone, not even in the struggle to have faith.

The question for me today is can I allow these incredible words from Jesus to soak into my soul, to know deep within that they are about me as well as the next person. I cannot be snatched away from Jesus.

No comments: