Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday in Lent 4

Romans 9:1-18
v. 16 So it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God who shows mercy.

There is always a danger in Lent. The disciplines we take on--giving something up or taking something on--can fool us into thinking that our works can bring us closer to God. At best we are enabling ourselves to see more clearly the closeness that is already there. We can't make God change his mind about us. All we can do is open our eyes to "see thee more clearly."

Two weeks from tomorrow will be Easter and we will celebrate the resurrection. What can I do between now and then to open my eyes wider to the love of God for me and for the whole creation? Tomorrow we will hear Jesus say that if he is lifted up he will draw all to himself. I am being drawn into the arms of Christ. What can I do to "get with the flow?"

I would suggest to you that the best thing I can do is not some great spiritual work. It is something far simpler than that--relax, be quiet, open my heart to receive the gift that is already mine.

No comments: