Sunday, December 7, 2008

Second Sunday of Advent

Isaiah 5:1-7

for the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel and the people of Judah his pleasant planting; he expected justice but saw bloodshed; righteousness, but heard a cry!

This passage of Isaiah begins "Let me sing for the beloved my love-song..." God loves his people. He is, you might say, besotted with them. He sings them love songs.

When my father was in the army, he cut a record for my mother. I think was an old 78 rpm. On one side was "Young Love." Every once and a while we kids would get it out of the cedar chest and play it. It was funny; we always laughed hysterically, but I also remember being comforted at the obvious sign of love it was. My young father was besotted with my mother.

God's love for Israel is disappointed, crushed. It is an enormously sad story. God's love was unrequited. The return of love would have been justice and righteousness (there's that same pairing of words from a couple days ago). There was none and so God's love-song falls silent.

© 2008 by Michael W. Hopkins

No comments: