Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The 7th Day of Christmas

Isaiah 26:1-9
v. 9 My soul yearns for you in the night, my spirit within me earnestly seeks you. For when your judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.

Here we are at the end of a secular year and the beginning of a new one. It is always a time to ponder the future. What do we want the new year to be like? Do we wish to resolve to anything new or renewed?

It's a good impulse, although I notice this year that my resolutions are pretty much the same as last year, which doesn't mean I totally failed last year, but I still want to do better. Again, good impulse.

If there is a measure by which to judge our resolutions it is contained in the verse above. Are they an earnestly seeking of God? Will they lead to a learning of righteousness (i.e., right-being, well-being, wholeness, akin to the Hebrew word shalom, peace)? This does not mean that they have to be what one would call "religious" or "spiritual" goals. It does mean that all goals are spiritual, because they reflect some part of our desire to be whole, and wholeness is a concern (the concern?) of God. If you haven't spent any time wondering about resolutions yet, the question to ask yourself is, "What might make me more whole next year?" "What might make for my geater well-being?"

These are questions worth pondering today.

Happy New Year!

No comments: